Welcome back to my blog my greeny apples. I’m saying a big welcome to my new followers and mommies. Also to my old followers and fam, thank you so much.
It’s good to take a tiny bits of break from the 30 days writing challenge. This is not a new post, it is an old post which I re-edited and decided to publish again.
So today let’s talk about myths and truths you were told during your pregnancy days.
Myths / Not so true / It depends
- Itchy belly means your baby will come out with head full of hair. Okay this I’m not really sure of though. Yes Genesis has hair, yes I was itchy but i don’t see any correlation between these two points though.
- The shape of your bump determines the gender of your baby. Whaaaaaaaaat? Please just get a scan done.
- Eating for two. Yes there is cravings and it is crazy depending on different women. Some are intense while some are not. Over eating is bad. Yes before pregnancy I love food and still loves food.
- Morning sickness only happens in the morning. Yes the first word says morning but morning sickness can happen anytime. It is common in the morning but for some it is different.
- Baby girl steal away the mother’s beauty. I need to find whomever made this point. Regardless of your baby’s gender, there will be changes in your body but no one is stealing anyone’s beauty.
- Spicy food can burn the baby’s eyes and it can also cause miscarriage and also induction of labor. I had a lot of pepper when I was pregnant and I mean a whole lot. This I’m not going disregard it because some women actually can’t stand pepper during pregnancy. Spicy food can cause heartburn for some women and repeated heartburn is risky.
- Safety pins keeps evil away. All hail my African mamas. Oh I did use safety pin throughout my pregnancy. It is used under your camisole, top or anything you are wearing and it doesn’t have to be visible outside your clothes. As to keeping evil away? Well we still use it 😂😂😂.
- Going out when it’s sunny or at night. Let me just say I spent most of pregnancy days indoor. I actually cultivated the habit of reading. Our African mothers believes evil roams around in the sun and at night.
- Do not allow people cross over your body as your baby might look like them. This is very ridiculous and funny. Aside me finding this act in appropriate, I don’t think your baby can resemble anyone based on this act.
- Taking pictures. I went for a friend’s baby christening while I was pregnant and it was time for group pictures but I was told it’s wrong for a pregnant woman to take pictures during pregnancy. I was shocked and also pissed at the same time.
- Avoiding skin care products. This i won’t disregard either because I have experience here. I found out that during pregnancy most skin care products don’t work and i was curious why. Some women becomes sensitive to some of the ingredients in some products, some women skin just refuse adapting to these products. During pregnancy I was producing more oils than usual on my face and trust me I became darker and nothing works for me.
- Sex can hurt the baby. Love making not WWE league 😂😂😂. This isn’t time to start practicing some monkey in the shadow sex position and trust me your baby is fine.
- At some point baby recognises their mothers voice. This is actually true. I sang a lot for Genesis and her movement whenever I talk or sing is always much more than normal touch movement.
- No pregnancy celebration until delivery. What this means is that, pregnancy should be kept hidden or no form of celebration like shower and an elaborate announcement just to avoid evil. My pregnancy was actually kept a secret because that how I wanted it. I didn’t know it’s a thing though or do I believe in no celebration but I have no idea how true this is and I have actually heard stories about evils when you celebrate or let everyone knows you are pregnant.
Must read: First night with your baby at home
TRUTHS & IMPORTANCE THINGS ABOUT PREGNANCY
- Do not lie on your back. Laying on my side became so uncomfortable because I was big and I started having a numb feeling on my arms. I always look forward to my antenatal appointment because I get to lie on my back when the doctor just do their normal routine check. After the checkup, i just lie there like I didn’t hear the doctor asking me to stand up 😭😭😭. The doctor asked me to lay on my back and then tell her what happens after few minutes which I did. Genesis started moving and I had to lie on left side. the doctor said the baby will tell you when he or she is not comfortable by moving and my breathing wasn’t going smoothly.
- There is crazy cravings. Remember I mentioned eating for two in the myth part. Yes don’t over eat but there is going to be weird cravings. Mine was pepper and cold drinks.
- Weird habits. I have seen few before. I know of someone that loves the smell of rain on the ground, one loves the smell of new note (money), one loves the smell of dusts, some loves burnt smell (I fall into this category 😂😂 my god mother always reminds me that genesis will come out with her bum looking like these burnt food😂😂), I know someone that loves the smell of fries and so many others.
- Mood swings. One minutes I’m happy and another minute I’m momzilla.
- Delivery day will always be on your mind. Trust me this is inevitable but just trust God and be positive.
- Exercise is good. Don’t do too much though and do what you are comfortable with. Mine I enjoyed walking and I had a wonderful walking partner.
There are so many myths and truth about pregnancy and it won’t be fun doing all the writing alone. So please join me in the comment section and drop yours 😊😊😊
Featured Image: Pinterest (mons petite)