Welcome back to my blog.
It’s day 4 of my blogmas edition for 2019. I hope you are enjoying my posts so far?
Today, I will like to share with every mother out there and also aspiring mothers, sisters and brothers with younger siblings some of the best cream/moisturizer for our baby skin.
Sometimes ago, I was reading some ridiculous articles on how some women take some illegal prescription to make their babies comes out light in complexion. I was shocked to think people still think this way. I’m not here to judge anyone but let kids be kids please.
I had the privilege of working in a beauty store, so some of these products are from reviews given to me by some mothers that have used them a lot and some I had the privilege of using for my daughter. I don’t think there is any reasons to have about 5 moisturizers for your child. If you have doubts which one you think is the best, visit a skincare therapy, a professional and ask and I’m sure based on reviews, you will definitely see one that is okay for your baby.
I hope this post will help anyone looking to get a very good moisturizer for their baby and you can also try my homemade baby oil 😊
best cream/moisturizer/lotion & ointment for baby skin
AVEENO BABY DAILY MOISTURE LOTION
This is one of the best moisturizer for baby’s skin. I used it for my daughter and it was just the perfect lotion for her. Genesis has dry skin which made me stick to oil from day 1. I tried aveeno and I loved it. The only reason I didn’t continue this product after my first try was because of it’s price. Aveeno is quite expensive. This will be my first choice. It doesn’t matter if your baby is dark or light skinned. It is perfect for all skin color and type. One of the things I love about aveeno is the mild to no scent which makes it perfect for babies. Aveeno has other products not just the moisturizer incase you want to fully stick with their brand for your baby. Aveeno mositure lotion, which was the one I used for Genesis, it has continuous protection for sensitive skin, soothing relief moisturizing cream and many others.
AVEENO SOOTHING RELIEF MOISTURE CREAM
This is one of the best for babies with dry and sensitive skin. Thicker than a cream, this product is a good choice for chapped skin, especially in those cold winter months. For maximum protection
SEBAMED BABY MOISTURIZING CREAM
I remembered asking one of the mothers in the store how effective this is, and she just smiled that she has 3 kids and this is what she has been using from day 1. Now mind you, sebamed has baby body milk, baby lotion and baby cream.
Body milk has a high oil content, body lotion has a higher water content. Body milk is generally richer, which therefore makes it particularly suitable for dry skin.
According to review, sebamed softens the baby’s skin and it is perfect in cold weather to ensure your baby’s skin is well moisturized and hydrated. Sebamed has massage oil, the baby cream, baby lotion and other amazing products. One of the cons of sebamed baby product is that, they are very expensive.
JOHNSON BABY LOTION
I don’t think there is one Nigerian mother who doesn’t have this product in on their baby list when getting them. Literally when you visit a new mother in Nigeria, you will definitely see Johnson’s products. Genesis is 9months old and I still have her Johnson baby powder from birth. This shows that a lot of mothers trust johnson baby lotion. Yes I got for genesis but like I said, i actually just sticl with oil because I kind of like natural things. I had the privilege of seeing my nephew used johnson baby lotion and it was very good on his skin and trust me, this lotion is good because it is keeps the skin hydrated and well moisturized for a long period in a day. One of the best thing about johnson baby lotion is that, it is very affordable.
DOVE BABY LOTION
Dove baby lotion is specially formulated for sensitive skin. It makes the baby skin silky and well moisturized for a long period of time which is due to it’s hypoallergenic and PH neutral formula. It is very gentle on baby skin. Dove has a lot of amazing products for baby’s delicate skin.
CETAPHIL MOISTURIZING CREAM
This moisturizing cream is available in a rich but lightweight formula. It will be quickly and easily absorbed by the skin without being sticky, even during a hot day. It is also fragrance-free, so this won’t irritate the baby. It is very good for babies with dry and sensitive skin. It has a unique formula that makes use of sweet almond oil, which is known for attracting water and locking in moisture.
AQUAPHOR BABY HEALING OINTMENT
This is one product you should try. It is a 2 in 1 product. As a moisturizer and also as skin reaction ointment like diaper rash, eczema and flaky skin. It is a good daily moisturizer.
The best time to moisturize your baby is immediately after their bath, when their skin is still damp.
This will serve two purposes:
- It will trap the moisture from bath time into your baby’s skin.
- It will prevent your baby’s skin from drying out after the bath.
Excessive bath can cause a baby’s skin to dry out. Too much bath removes natural oil from the skin and can cause skin dryness.
Reasons why your baby needs moisturizer
- Dry skin
- Baby acne. Yes babies do have acne. Babies acnes looks like small red bumps. Baby acne is not itchy or painful and typically resolves on its own after a few months but however if the spot is dry, you can use a moisturizer and it’s important to choose a product that doesn’t contain high oil contents.
Things to look out for when choosing for your baby
- If your baby has a skin condition like eczema, acne or a medical condition or just to keep him or her hydrated, then make sure you stick to products that is best for it. Seek advice from your baby’s doctor incase you are confused. What works for your first baby might not work for the next one.
- There is baby lotion, cream, moisturizer and ointments. Lotions, 70% of it’s contents is water. Ointments, about 70% of it’s contents is oil. Creams are in between. Cream is a blend of oil and water, but with a higher oil concentration (a 50-50 ratio of water and oil). Creams are thicker in consistency than lotion because of its higher oil content. Moisturizer is a combination used for application on various parts of body such as face, hands or feet etc. The naturally derived oil, plant extracts and other rich nutritional elements keep the skin healthy, moisturized and glowing. Unlike creams, moisturizers are absorbed in the skin absolutely. Cream for moisturizing purposes is used to block the loss of moisture due to daily routine activities and exposure to the sun.
- Look at the first ingredients in baby’s products because the first ingredient is the main component of the product. If the first ingredients is water, it will provide hydration. If the first ingredients is oil, it provides/offer protection.
- If your baby has sensitive skin, please avoid fragrance products. However, lavender is good for night time to massage your baby skin as it provides a soothing and calming effect.
My Homemade oil
Last month I was really disappointed in one of the baby product I got. I was down health wise and I couldn’t get my special oil for genesis. I got a small baby lotion for her but unfortunately I got fake which I didn’t know and the product literally burnt her skin. When you see genesis, the first two things you will notice is her full hair and her skin. I thank God my baby skin is back to healing fast and it didn’t cause any more harm to her.
My homemade oil
- Palm kennel oil
- Original shea butter
- And pure coconut oil (not refined)
This is what genesis and i have been using for a while now and it makes our skin glow. Mind you, I don’t use it on my face because I have a oil skin in my facial area and genesis has a dry skin(body). I don’t apply anything on her face though till I get the aveeno again.
Thank you for reading and I will definitely be adding more product in the updated post. Please feel free to add which product you have used and really love.